Tuesday, November 15, 2011

National Novel Staring Month.

National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short, is a love / hate relationship. Sometimes it inspires me to work harder than I usually would. Other times it hangs over me like a blanket of evil, whispering into my ear that I’m not going to make it.

Every year, thousands of people sign up for NaNoWriMo in an attempt to write a novel of fifty thousand words during November. This is my first year of taking part. I’ve been reading up on the forums of the website, trying to make a sense of it all. For some people it’s a breeze; fifty thousand words is obtained in a few weeks, and they assure everyone else that it is possible. All cheerleading and sabre rattling. Others find it a complete slog, shifting shit through a quicksand of ideas.

I’m currently in the second camp. I’m behind on my target and I’m finding it hard to catch up.

I think NaNoWriMo in itself is a great idea. The chance to bring people together through a mutual love of writing and to give them a goal is something I’m totally in favour of. I’m generally in favour of anything which brings people together through writing. So for that I commend it, and would advise anyone with more than a passing interest in the craft to take part next year (if you haven’t already had a pop).

On the other hand, my goodness is it a burden. Falling behind a couple of days is fine. You think to yourself ‘Sure, I’ll pick it up again next time. Easy.’ Nope. I’m so far behind I feel like I’m in a great big tunnel of fail. The light at the end is becoming dimmer by the day, and I’m not sure I’ll be able to find the end in time.

That’s a touch dramatic, but I hate missing deadlines. True, I’ve had enough distractions in the past couple of weeks to give a vaguely admissible excuse, but that doesn’t mean I’m losing. I want to win, God-damnit, and get my forum picture to prove it for next year.

I basically took part so that I could take some time off from Queen of the World. I’d been writing about that universe and the characters within it for nearly a year, and I needed the time to focus on something else. I’m going to finish the NaNoWriMo project before I move on regardless of if I finish it in November, so it’s simply a matter of how long it takes me.

Right now it feels like aaaaages.

In other news; well, nothing much happened this week. I’ve been writing, procrastinating, eating and sleeping. I actually have a bed in my room now. That might not sound like big news, but it’s been about four months since I was sleeping in a double bed with the missus. Norwegian sleeping arrangements are weird.

Oh, the second part of the Morocco trip is coming. It’s a bit of a writing-inspiration thing. You’ll see.

If any of you are taking part in NaNoWriMo this year then please add your comments on how it's going. Also, go and like my fan page if you haven't already. Ta!

2 comments:

  1. I'm also Nano-ing for the first time this year. You're gonna hate me for this but I'm actually finding it much easier than I thought I would. I had to miss a couple of days near the beginning but I'm catching up by writing a little extra each day - about 2000 words, which I've found I can do in an hour if I really go for it. I think the trick is to not care about whether or not it's any good. My novel doesn't even have a plot. Like at all. And I'm not writing in any particular order - just whatever random scene I feel like writing at the time. I think if I tried to do it in a more linear way I'd really struggle because then I'd always have to work out what happened next. Besides, nothing's really 'happening' as such. I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to publish this. Well, maybe when I'm famous and have earned the right to, you know, not have a plot. But you know what? I don't care. I haven't had this much fun writing in years. Isn't that what NaNoWriMo is all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree - NaNoWriMo should be about having fun with writing. I guess I stuffed up by trying to make a 'proper' first draft. I prefer to edit my work using what's there and not what -could- be there. Alas, I am also not yet in a position to run without a plot, though I surely hope you can publish what you have at some point as a collector's item for your no-doubt infamous catalogue. -grins-

    ReplyDelete